Sunday, May 06, 2007

Thirteenth Show!

This was a tricky show to put together. Being the penultimate Pop Rocks! of the Spring (and maybe forever, hopefully not), I figured I should do something cool but I've been listening to nothing but Love, Bad Brains, and TV on the radio for this paper I'm writing for a Popular Black Music class. So I figured I'd play an hour of Love and then let the rest of the show put itself together. It was a hazy day in Lawrence and driving up to the shack, I decided that I should play Love's masterpiece Forever Changes in its entirety, since the day reminded me so much of Los Angeles, and that is the ESSENTIAL LA record.

Anyway, I got to the shack and Tom was trying to fix the transmitter. The station was off the air. What was I to do? I have no problem broadcasting an internet only show, but if it's some grand idea (in particular, one that is designed to be played out of car stereos) I don't want it to go to waste. So, in short, the first hour is random and, at about 10:55 the transmitter went back up and I let the Love in! I didn't know if I'd have time to do Forever Changes, so I played side one and then played my favorite Love songs. Ha. Love songs!

Panda Bear - Bros (Person Pitch)
Sam Cooke - Bring it On Home To Me (The Man and His Music)
The Like Young - I'm in Love (Six at Midnight)
Love - Always See Your Face (Four Sail)
Galaxie 500 - Blue Thunder (On Fire)
Fennesz - Endless Summer (Endless Summer)
Brian Wilson - Heroes & Villains (Smile)
The Books - Take Time (The Lemon of Pink)
Daniel Johnston - Good Morning You
Guided by Voices - Over the Neptune/Mesh Gear Fox (Propeller)
Destroyer - Streethawk I (Streethawk: A Seduction)

Love - Alone Again Or (Forever Changes)
Love - A House is Not a Motel (Forever Changes)
Love - Andmoreagain (Forever Changes)
Love - The Daily Planet (Forever Changes)
Love - The Old Man (Forever Changes)
Love - The Red Telephone (Forever Changes)
Love - Seven & Seven Is (Forever Changes)
Love - My Little Red Book (Forever Changes)
Love - Your Mind and We Belong Together (Forever Changes B-Side)
Love - She Comes in Colors (Da Capo)
Love - No Matter What You Do (Love)
Love - Laughing Stock (Forever Changes B-Side)
Love - You Set the Scene (Forever Changes)
Love - Stephanie Knows Who (Da Capo)
Love - Can't Explain (Love)
Love - Robert Montgomery (Four Sail)

Band of the Week:
Love

One of the most under appreciated groups of all time, and I think a lot of that has to do with the fact that they really didn't want to leave Los Angeles. I've been writing about Love all weekend (and just finished the Love segment of my paper) so I'm a little burnt out. In short: this is one of the greatest bands that a lot of people never heard, and you should go out and buy Forever Changes right now. RIGHT NOW.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home