Saturday, February 24, 2007

Sixth Show! Elephant 6 Special!!!!!

So THAT was the most fun I have had on the radio in a long, long time. I hope those who caught the show (or parts of it) enjoyed what they heard, maybe discovered something new? Really, all I wanted was to have someone call and ask me what "I Have Been Floated" by the Olivia Tremor Control was when I played it (and someone did) so I feel like my job has been done.

ELEPHANT 6
Do some research, find some music, get really into it.

Of Montreal - Requiem for O.M.M.2 (The Sunlandic Twins)
The Olivia Tremor Control - Love Athena (California Demise)
Neutral Milk Hotel - Gardenhead/Leave Me Alone (On Avery Island)
The Apples in Stereo - Strawberryfire (Her Wallpaper Reverie)
The Minders - Yeah Yeah Yeah (Hooray for Tuesday)
The Essex Green - The Late Great Cassiopia (The Long Goodbye)
The Sunshine Fix - That Ole Sun (Age of the Sun)
The High Water Marks - Good I Feel Bad (Songs About the Ocean)
Elf Power - High Atop the Silver Branches (A Dream in Sound)
Beulah - Ballad of the Lonely Argonaut (When Your Heartstrings Break)
The Gerbils - Crayon Box (Are You Sleepy?)
Neutral Milk Hotel - Everything Is (Everything Is)
Of Montreal - Pancakes for One (Aldhils Arboretum)
Kevin Barnes Interview
Of Montreal - We Were Born the Mutants Again With Leafling (Hissing Fauna, Are You the Destroyer?)
The Minders - Hooray for Tuesday (Hooray for Tuesday)
Jeff Mangum - My Dreamgirl Don't Exist
The Olivia Tremor Control - I Have Been Floated (Black Foliage: Animation Music)
A Hawk and a Hacksaw - Waltz for Strings and Tuba (The Way the Wind Blows)
Neutral Milk Hotel - Holland, 1945 (In the Aeroplane Over the Sea)
The Apples in Stereo - Tidal Wave (Fun Trick Noisemaker)
Dressy Bessy - There's a Girl (Sound Go Round)
Circulatory System - The Lovely Universe (Circulatory System)
The Ladybug Transistor - The Swimmer (The Albemarle Sound)
Marbles - Out of Zone (Expo)
Marshmallow Coast - Hung Up (Marshmallow Coasting)
Beulah - My Horoscope Said it Would Be a Good Year (Inbred compilation)
The Apples in Stereo - Avril en Mai (Pop Romantique compilation)
Neutral Milk Hotel - Song Against Sex (On Avery Island)

Check out the Kevin Barnes Interview Here!

BAND OF THE WEEK

The Olivia Tremor Control


So here's what happened: I used this Elephant 6 show as an excuse to finally listen to the Olivia Tremor Control. Shocking, I know, what kind of pop DJ isn't obsessed with that band, you ask? Well, the quite simply, the records seemed so daunting. So full and complex that I could never find enough time to devote to them. Usually I have a particular album that I am obsessing over, and for some reason, I always said "I'll get to them later." Well, I wanted to do this show and figured that it was going to be absolutely necessary to play OTC, so I sat down, put on Black Foliage: Animation Music, and let the music sweep over me. Eventually, the album arrives at this amazing centerpiece, "I Have Been Floated." It caught me completely off guard. How quickly the chorus comes in, the chorus being one of the most marvelous pieces of pop music that I have EVER heard. And when Jeff Mangum comes in on the second chorus, I was sold. This is an amazing band that I have just scratched the surface with. I can smell obsession.

At times, when I'm really obsessed with a band or song or album, I wonder what the next one will be. The music has a way of seeking me out and, once it has me, I wonder how I found it. I've probably listened to this song up to fifteen times and it still blows me away.

The Olivia Tremor Control - I Have Been Floated

1 Comments:

Blogger hey jude said...

why are you so cool ian? oh its bc you like pop music

3:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home